Tuesday, January 14, 2014

seeing and understanding. . .

“A large drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone, and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone, and a torn cloud, like a bloody rag, hung over the spot of its going. And dusk crept over the sky from the eastern horizon, and darkness crept over the land from the east.” ~  John SteinbeckThe Grapes of Wrath












 I glanced out at sunset last night and stopped to listen and realized the wind had finally died down. Basil hates to walk in the wind when it blows like it has the last few days. But now it is warm out, unusually warm for this time of year and the water in the pond has melted and the ducks are back. I knew he would fancy a long walk. I captured our walk around the pond as the sun set around us. A woman passed us twice, which goes to show you how slow he and I plod along. He sniffs and I take photos. 

My new class is teaching me how to see. Remember I said no post processing? Wow, that is hard. And our assignments for class are still very basic and simple. This week we are looking for light and shadows and spots of color. But I can see how in just two weeks it has helped me. 

These photos are all cropped a bit and the one of the trees with the birds and the moon I faded. The one of Basil I had to boost the exposure to get the look I wanted. But in the others I adjusted a few things here and there, but not much. Seeing and trying to capture it the way I want takes more time. I have to adjust my camera settings more often and, just to make sure I get what I am looking for, I take more photos. I understand now that I had gotten lazy. Not really seeing but just shooting a lot and relying on post processing to get what I really wanted. 

what have you been seeing lately? 
xoxo 

7 comments :

Dotti said...

All of these are lovely, Cathy, as always. And Basil always looks so serious! But that last one of the sunset over the pond ... oh. my. goodness. Breathtaking!

S. Etole said...

I'm enjoying what you are seeing. There's mostly lots of snow here. The shadows are super this time of year.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Yes the art of seeing needs to be revisited on a regular basis. Thank goodness for classes that push us out of our comfort zones, and because we want to get better we commit to doing the work.

Viv@within the Frame said...

Yes I agree with Sarah we need to be reminded and pushed to 'see'

Madge Bloom said...

There is a difference between looking and seeing... I've always asked the Lord to help me 'see' not just 'look' at many things in life... and yes, even in my photography.

Katie said...

i like how you see our world.

heyjudephotography said...

Such beautiful light - these made me smile.