Tuesday, July 8, 2014

just a kid. . .


“In terms of days and moments lived, you’ll never again be as young as you are right now, so spend this day, the youth of your future, in a way that deflects regret. Invest in yourself. Have some fun. Do something important. Love somebody extra. In one sense, you’re just a kid, but a kid with enough years on her to know that every day is priceless." 
― Victoria Moran,

I always figured that by the time I reached 60 I would have life figured out. I would be wise, having lived through so much. I would be passionate about doing new things, because I would understand just how precious life is and how quickly that all can change.  I would be confidant, because I would have worked hard and been rewarded. And above all, I would hold the secrets to life.



I would reach out to younger people, and they in turn would look up to me and believe in my wisdom. I would back off and allow them to discover their own paths however, because after all that is how I arrived to my wise place in the world. I would spend hours among my flower gardens and my fingernails would never come clean. I would eat what I wanted, dress for comfort, still go barefoot, laugh often and love hard. 



So imagine if you will, how bewildered I feel right now with just four short weeks to find that woman. I best get off my butt and get going I think. I have learned a few things in my 59 years, but not as much as I thought I would have. 
I do know. . . 

  • kindness matters
  • we must be gentle with ourselves, before we can be gentle with others
  • no one, i mean no one thinks just as i do, or experiences my feelings
  • and just like i think i do "it" the best way, others feel the same way
  • so acceptance and non-judgement is important, as is understanding and forgiving 
  • i must remind myself often to practice this kindness, this acceptance, this understanding, and this forgiveness, because it does not always come natural to me


Practice is something I always thought was for soccer or learning to play the piano, but today I fully understand it is about living a full life also. And although they say, practice makes perfect, I doubt that is the case here. But I do know that we learn by practicing life in all kinds of situations and if we keep at it, with an open heart and mind, we will learn and our lives may not be easier, but they will be fuller. 

Maybe that wise woman will show up one day, if I just get out of her way. 

have a grand day, 
xoxoox 

linking up with  Kim over at Texture Tuesday today, go have a peek. 

6 comments :

terriporter said...

Such a wonderful post, Cathy, and one that definitely spoke to me. I'm 1-1/2 years from 70 and thought I would have it all figured out by now but am still working at it, still growing and I guess that's a good thing. Love your list of things you know, such good things. Thank you for this post, my wise friend.

Katie said...

it seems as though you have it figured out already. but maybe NOT knowing the full answer, the full wisdom is what makes us who we are. i view my life as an endless book divided into chapters and sections and trilogies and volumes. with each new part of life, i am a brand new person, a brand new baby learning to walk for the first time. it's exciting, it's scary as hell, it's a never ending adventure. and i welcome every step along the way.

Becs said...

That all sounds pretty wise to me, I think you're closer than you think! Loved reading this and those images are gorgeous.

lifeinthewyldewest said...

How to even begin because firstly, you are the bees knees and I happen to look up to you for your great wisdom. It's like you have it all figured out as far as I'm concerned and I know, I know we all still can learn something new each and every single day but you KNOW and appreciate what is most important in this life of ours, I see your appreciation for the things that just really, really count. So on a lighter note, you are NOT giving me much hope here cause um, well when I turned 40 I thought it would be my most amazing decade and so far it's been the roughest and so then I think well when I reach 50, I'll have it all figured out and you know what I'm trying to say. I'm always a little too long winded but I do so appreciate your knowledge, your love, your kindness, your friendship and always the words and images here on your blog. My favorite coupling of words in this post of yours was "I would reach out to younger people, and they in turn would look up to me and believe in my wisdom. I would back off and allow them to discover their own paths however, because after all that is how I arrived to my wise place in the world." You are very good at this part.

Naomi said...

I also am someone who thinks you are wiser than you know. It's funny what we think about ourselves. I'm 39 and figured I'd be much more put-together by now!

Pat said...

Lovely images.