Tuesday, July 1, 2014

grandma hugs. . .

“Some moments can only be cured with a big squishy grandma hug.” ~ Dan Pearce, Single Dad Laughing


I woke to the birds singing this morning. First one, than another, until pretty soon they were one big choir, full of morning goodness. We are to have record heat here today. The last days of June are usually full of rain and summer starts July 5th. So it is nice to have her here early. 



However with all this nice weather people have started celebrating the 4th early and every night, for the past three nights, someone in the neighborhood has set off a huge firecracker. The kind that is set off in a barrel. It makes a huge boom and scares Basil so. He heads right for the bed and dives under the covers and shakes and shakes. It makes me mad. And it will only get worse as the 4th draws nearer. 




There are perks and downfalls to living outside the city. Big booming firecrackers are one of the downfalls. Waking up to a choir of birds is a perk. Today I will call the vet and get him something for the next few nights. And tomorrow morning I will coax him awake to listen to the choir of birds. 
:::
“EVERY DOG’S STORY

I have a bed, my very own.
It’s just my size.
And sometimes I like to sleep alone
with dreams inside my eyes.

But sometimes dreams are dark and wild and creepy
and I wake and am afraid, though I don’t know why.
But I’m no longer sleepy
and too slowly the hours go by.

So I climb on the bed where the light of the moon
is shining on your face
and I know it will be morning soon.

Everybody needs a safe place.” 
― Mary OliverDog Songs

do you have plans for the 4th? 
xoxoo 

3 comments :

Dotti said...

Poor Basil! My daughter had a dog that was frightened by fireworks and the worst part is, they just don't understand it all. Sweet poem, great photos!

Deb said...

Poor Basil. We went through this with our dog for years. He was terrified and would run to our bathroom and try to get behind the pedestal sink. I would just sit on the floor with him until he would calm down. The best thing for us to do was close all windows, turn the tv on and have the air conditioner running. I would stay with him, and without making a fuss over it, would ride it out with him. He would be fine once it stopped. Now he has lost most of his hearing and tonight (we celebrated Canada Day today) he was not bothered one bit by it all. The only good side of near deafness. Give Basil a hug for me.

Viv@within the Frame said...

Poor thing our cat used to get so anxious whenever there were fireworks. We tend to get a lot in late summer at the end of wedding receptions. Happy July 4th to you...